Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Wizard Of Oz
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack


I'm recently reading the book "Wicked", the book about the Wicked Witch of the West, before she was the famous witch. I have to say it's quite an amazing book and really is stirring up my interst in the Wizard of Oz again, and that being said since this is a soundtrack blog it's time to post a Wizard of Oz soundtrack. This is the 26 track album labeled as "Selections From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". There is another 2 disc set that has even more tracks from the film for the hard core fan, but for someone like myself this soundtrack has all the "hits" and even some extened tracks and tracks that didn't make the cut in the final flim.

Speaking of the film, I have to say although it's hugely well known even today and perhaps even called classic to many, it s as a film based on a book falls a bit flat for me. As a stand alone flim not being compared to the book, then it's enjoyable, but I'm saying, READ the books if you haven't, they are much darker and have some very interesting things that didn't make it into the final film. Thankfully many, many years later the film "Return to Oz" came out and that captured the tone and look of the books very well. If you look at the illustrations from the books, you'll see how similar the classic characters look, but not only that the tone is much darker and dare I say scarier than the previous film (flying monkeys aside). My next post will be the score to the "Return to Oz" film. Well, for now enjoy the original Oz soundtrack! As an added bonus I have included the Lux Radio Show's Christmas radio performance of the Wizard of Oz starring Judy Garland. If you a fan of old-time radio I think you'll enjoy it. It's heavily based on this film version.

"Who killed my sister? Who killed the Witch of the East? Was it you? "

Download the full soundtrack here.

2 comments:

constant drama said...

I stumbled upon your blog....maybe I got linked from somewhere I dunno but its not important. What's important is that I am finding your blog very interesting. Not everyday a girl stumbled upon a blog dedicating to OSTs.

On that note I went to watch WICKED Broadway show and it was amazing. Have yet started to read the book but I bet its gona be just as good, or maybe better. Maybe you should review WICKED's soundtrack too?

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Thanks for dropping by, I'm glad you found my blog so interesting, I try to update the blog on a regular basis so stop by again!

I've added your blog to my "Rants & Raves" section as well.