Friday, October 16, 2015

Donny Lee - “Skunk Ape”: 31 Days of Halloween Music



Here is a weird track I came across in the summer of 2011, called "Skunk Ape" by an artist by the name of Donny Lee. This tune easily is in my top 20 favorites of my Halloween playlist. I love the vibe of the track and it's just so weird and interesting. . It was released in 1985 on record (vinyl) in what appears to be a single version. I don't know much about this artist or release. The song details the singer's true or made-up events of him learning about and experiencing a Skunk Ape situation. The Skunk Ape is believed to be a southern American Sasquatch type of creature. The name comes from what people claim is an awful smell it has. This song has just that right magic to easily have appeared in some bad 80s B-movie about an abominable creature.

It's a 80s country sounding tune, which is not something I'd normally listen to, but for this track it's a perfect genre to perform a weird tune like this. If you are into weird monster themed songs I highly recommend this gem.

2 comments:

DJ Twisted Sister said...

For such a zany title, I was expecting something a little more up-tempo...

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Twisted Sister, ha ha. Yeah, it's pretty low key. Sitting on the porch drinking moonshine type of speed.