Friday, September 30, 2011

Army of Darkness (Full Soundtrack)

Hello all, October is right around the corner and I thought what better way to end the month of September than ending my "Evil Dead" series of soundtrack posts. What I have here good listeners is the soundtrack/score to the final Evil Dead film, "Army of Darkness". The score is composed by Joseph LoDuca which was a good choice for Raimi to go with him to keep a musically continuity to the films. If you are familiar with the previous Evil Dead scores you'll hear some call backs to those, which is nice. Since the story takes place in a medieval magic and monsters world the score has that vibe going for it.

An interesting thing to not is that well known soundtrack composer Danny Elmfman makes an appearance and score the track "March of the Dead" which flows very nicely with LoDuca's work. Knowing it's Elfman you can tell it's him, but I think if you didn't have that info you'd never notice which is important if you are going to bring in a couple of composers.

Now, I'd be biting my tongue if I was to not state a few thoughts on this film. My buddy Deadite Bill doesn't want me to go ranting for too long as he's a fan of the film, but I must say a few things. First off I don't like this movie, there I said it. In fact I can't stand it. I've seen it twice and that was enough. The 2nd time was to see if maybe I was wrong about it. Nope, it's bad. The whole thing feels forced from the get go as if its trying recapture that magic of horror goofiness "Evil Dead 2" has. It doesn't succeed in my opinion. With that being said, enjoy the tunes!

Link is dead!

8 comments:

Dex1138 said...

This was my first Ash movie and I loved the craziness.

I still have my soundtrack cd because it's just awesome in its awesomeness.

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Dex, Ha I can respect that. Although that is one major point I intended to mention about this flick. That it's the one of all the Evil Dead films that I would hear for years was "the first evil dead film I knew about" from many people and I was like "what, you haven't seen Evil Dead 2?" I mean everything you like about Army is stuff lifted straight from there, that's the OG horror/comedy stuff. That's cool you still have your CD to this flick, it goes for a pretty penny in the collector's market.

The Boom Operator said...

I'll agree that the film isn't cinema gold...it does have cult appeal though. Army Of Darkness is very much the "Bruce Campbell Show" and it's really his one liners and eyebrow cocking that propel this movie into the annals of horror history. Few horror comedies really accomplish what the Evil Dead franchise did, and AoD was the cherry on top. YOu don't really need it, but it polishes out the thing with a flourish. The ice cream is really what you came for.

It Came From The Man Cave said...

Huge Evil Dead fan but I agree AoD was not what I had hoped for. It is the most quoted of the 3! But I have to ask have you seen the "dark Ending"? Its a much better way to watch it.

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Boom Operator: It does have a huge cult following, in some ways seems to be the most popular in the Evil Dead series. I guess I feel the series didn't need it or a better follow up. Evil Dead 2 ended so great with him going back in time and killing that beast. Then the movie didn't have that dark vibe I was hoping for but an all out goof fest.

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Man Cave, yeah you are right it's the most quoted for sure, and for good reason. It has way more goofy bits and is far more popular to most. I have not seen this "dark Ending" do tell, what is it?

It Came From The Man Cave said...

the Dark Ending finds Bruce going to a cave to screw up the words with the book once again. This time he falls asleep and wakes up in a dark future. Witch has lead to a lot of funs hungry for a true 4th movie. But do to the flop of AoD it never happened. Universal wanted a happy ending. Alot of us feel the dark ending was the way to go. It was released on Bruce Campbell vs Army of Darkness. If you can ever find it fast forward to the end and check it out. But we do lose the quote "Shop Smart Shop S mart" and Bridget Fonda.

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Man Cave, ah interesting.