Saturday, March 10, 2012

League of Extraordinary Bloggers
Things that make you go “Whoah.”

This weeks League topic from Cool & Collected is as follows.

"What media announcement had you throwing fist pumps and doing roundhouse kicks in the air? Did the final result live up to your dreams?"

An announcement that grabbed me was "Alien vs Predator" being made into a film. I am a huge fan of both the Predator and Alien franchises. One of my favorite things, at least up to that time, was when Dark Horse put out "Aliens vs Predator" first in "Dark Horse Presents 34-36, then as a 4 issue series. It was spectacular and really captured the flavor of both franchises with a solid story that I hoped would one day show up on the silver screen.


In 2004 that dream became a reality. A lot of people took issue with the director Paul W.S. Anderson, but I didn't know enough about him to feel one way or another. All I cared about was seeing two of my favorite monsters battle it out on screen wrapped in a good story, hopefully based on the original AVP comic series. One red flag that I see now was Anderson saying that his movie will be called "Alien vs Predator", not "Aliens vs Predator" as not to be confused or intentionally associated with the comic series. This seems really odd when you see the final product. There are huge story points and elements that are directly lifted from that original series, such as the Predator befriending a female human. I heard that a lot of people hated that, but in the comic it worked and I felt it was handled fairly well in the film.


I would say as far as monster vs. monster action goes it was pretty enjoyable, although the Predators got picked off far too quickly for my taste. The Predator vs. Queen fight was also enjoyable, but had a hint of T-Rex from Jurassic Park going on. I don't hate the movie like many did and wasn't totally let down, because the movie does succeed in many areas and its attempt at connecting the franchises with Charles Bishop Weyland was a nice touch. I think they tried to do their own idea but really aped a lot from the comic series, and that fans would have been much happier if they had just created a film version of the comic series. I also think the film would have been more successful as a hard R film, instead of PG-13. Nevertheless, seeing two of my favorite movie monsters battle on screen was quite thrilling and I'll still pop in the DVD just to watch the battle scenes.

If you want more, I did a movie review of this flick at my site Sideshow Cinema, where I go into more depth about the film.

Check out one of the fight scenes here between the Celtic Predator and an Alien, which was one of the more memorable scenes in the film.




Check out what the other League members found to be their own jaw dropping announcements and subsequent highs and lows.

Branded in the 80s falls limp in the toy isle with the announcement of 25th anniversary G.I. Joe figures from Hasbro.

AEIOU and Sometimes Why gets to watch with many other hard core Star Wars fans a Return of the Jedi deleted scene pulled from Lucas' vault and showing publicly for the first time.

Tupa's Treasures getting to see the first three Star Wars films in the theater thanks to special editions that were re-released.


2 comments:

Dex1138 said...

There is still a tiny part of me that is holding out hope for a comic AvP adaptation. I'd settle for an animated version even.

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Dex, yeah that would be super awesome, and if done really well would be very satisfying. An animated route wasn't something I had ever thought about, but that could be cool.