Friday, June 01, 2012

Alien 1979 - Dallas Air Shaft Scene

Ever since I was little I've always loved monsters. Monster movies, shows, toys and what-have-you. 99% of the time I'm never truly scared by them monsters, I just enjoy it for good. However, there are a few moments in film that did terrify me. One of the more memorable moments of fright was in Alien. I can't remember how young I was, but I was watching Alien for the very first time and I was frozen with fear when the Alien got Dallas in the air shaft. The quick reveal of the Alien, the music and that build up to that moment were scary as hell.


1 comment:

Stickyfilm said...

An interesting side note to that scene is that the music is actually from the 1962 John Huston film, "Freud", as is the scene where the face-huger metacarpal is cut and it bleeds acid which eats through several decks of the ship. The soundtrack for the film contains musical cuts for these scenes, but not the ones actually heard in the film. My assumption has always been that Scott temp-tracked Alien with Jerry Goldsmith's "Freud" score, but then hired Goldsmith to create an original score for "Alien". I'm guessing in the end, he felt strongly that his temp track worked better for the scenes and just stuck with it. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone out there knows differently.