Sunday, November 11, 2012

The League - Pop Culture Jump the Shark

This weeks topic by the League of Extraordinary Bloggers. "At what point did a pop culture series “jump the shark” and lose your interest." Well my friends, what jumped the shark occurred in 1987… The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series produced by Murakami-Wolf-Swenson Film Productions. That show in my personal opinion was a goddamn train wreck! If you are a fan of the original comics you'll know they weren't goofy wise cracking, surfer dude lingo using pizza fiends, that stuff was corny as hell to me, and still is. Their different colored bandanas/masks is another huge problem I have with the series. That is NOT in the original comic book series. The original comics were gritty and violent. There was some humor of course as they are teenagers, but not "Cowabunga dude, like, that pizza it totally rad!" ridiculous dialogue. It was all just so cornball and child friendly, which I guess was the direction it had to go in since Playmates was interested in selling toys that were, equally annoying. In fact the only figure that looked decent to me was Casey Jones and that's mostly because they got his mask sculpted pretty well. I'm amazed at how that colored mask, wise cracking side of the Turtles is what lives today and in so many incarnations and popularity. Those are not the real TMNT and never were. They are impostors I'll never accept. When I enjoy TMNT it's with the old original comics and never what came after the late 80s.

Now just in case you disagree with me... let me give you a visual.



I know... it's horrific isn't it. I could barely post this picture. 

2 comments:

Brian (Cool and Collected) said...

Oh, you're gonna stir up the League a bit with this post. ;) Calling Shezcrafti!

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Brian: oh I'm ready for the heat, but I'm a little afraid of Shezcrafti. I thought about her while typing the whole thing!