Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Ray Harryhausen - 1920-2013

I wanted to quick make a mention of the passing of special/visual effects wizard Ray Harryhausen. He passed away yesterday at the age of 92. To film buffs especially older folk, from fans, directors, writers to modern day visual effects artists his creations and work has inspired many people and really been loved by movie goers. Many of the films he worked on are still very well known and well respected for their achievements for what they were in his era of film making. As a young child I loved watching all his monsters come alive on the "silver screen". As you may or may not know, I'm not a big fan of CGI effects of today. I've always been a fan of practical effects, which is probably more because I grew up on those films.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that Sideshow Cinema is sad to see his passing, but respect and enjoyed all his hard work he put into film making. Below I have a few videos of some of my personal favorite creations of his. Enjoy!!!

Clash of the Titans (1981)

Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

6 comments:

Dex said...

I saw a great doc on him recently and it was so cool to see so much of his work and props from over the years.

The Fiji Mermaid said...

Dex, that sounds like it would be really interesting. I love to see that behind the scenes stuff of how the effects are made, especially stuff like he was doing. Do you know if it's online for viewing?

Dex said...

I'm not sure but it's called "Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan"

estetik drew said...

Nice information you have shared here and it's great pleasure for me to read this.
Estetik

estetik Burun said...

It's a creativity site.thanks for sharing.. Video-endoskopik yöntemle, tamponsuz Burun Estetiği bilgileri, estetik burun ameliyati,Burun Estetiği ,rinoplasti operasyonu Op. Dr. Yakup Avsar tarafindan anlatilmaktadir.
Burun Estetiği

estetik drew said...

Very nice post! I like this...Keep it up! Accepting for sharing! Activity Adjustable Apps and Above
Estetik