Thursday, October 10, 2013

Best Death Scene
Friday the 13th: Part III



I mentioned the Month of Macabre 31 day photo challange that I'm taking part in on Instagram. Today's question is "Best Death Scene" from a horror movie. Immediately I thought of the character of Vera's death at the hands of Jason Vorhees in "Friday the 13th: Part III". Vera is the character that accidentally dropped Shelly's wallet into the water. She was speaking with Shelly minutes earlier and turned down his love advances. What we don't see is off camera Jason has killed Shelly and taken his hockey mask from him and re-appears to Vera now wearing it. Vera mistakenly thinks it's Shelly and apologizes for dropping the wallet, but upon closer examination realizes that's Shelly's mask, but not Shelly. Before she can do anything Jason fires an arrow at her.

This scene although not overly gory, disturbing or a major part of the film is very memorable scene to me for a couple of reasons. One is that it's the very first time Jason appears on screen in his now iconic hockey mask. The second reason is that this is the very first Friday film I saw. I saw an edited for TV version, but I enjoyed it none-the-less. This installment still is one of my favorite of the franchise, perhaps solely on nostalgia, but I love it all the same.

1 comment:

Caffeinated Joe said...

Agreed! A great death, made all the more severe since we have gotten to see Vera and hope she was warming up to weird Shelly.